New platform provides dedicated bitumen industry health and safety training and best practice
TOTAL UK Ltd – Bitumen Division have launched a dedicated health and safety training platform. Designed to allow industry professionals to meet their health and safety obligations, the platform covers a range of topics and best practice.
Good health and safety working practices are important in any environment. Exercising caution and following the correct procedures for safely storing, handling, and transporting bitumen are essential in order to minimize the risk of burns, injury, and damage to equipment and the environment.
Launched to coincide with this year’s World Day for Safety and Health at Work (28 April), the platform covers a range of bitumen health and safety topics and outlines the processes that should be followed for safe working, including:
- Bitumen Discharge Permits – a Permit to Work document to confirm authorization of deliveries and that the grades and volumes are correct.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) – the importance of wearing the correct PPE to prevent contact burns.
- Emergency shutdown procedure – essential guidance for shutting down a bitumen delivery vehicle in the event of an emergency.
- Emergency shower specification – guidance on the installation and operation of this important equipment which can help treat burns.
- Ground-based pumps, which deliver bitumen at much lower pressure than pressure discharge – the design, installation and maintenance of this equipment is critical to safety.
- Planned preventative maintenance – to ensure all appropriate risk assessments are complete and relevant site-specific procedures are followed.
A PDF of the Total Work Well Bitumen Health & Safety Guide can be downloaded from the platform. It can be used to train teams on the appropriate procedures for handling and storing bitumen and what to do in an emergency situation.
Chris Milligan, head of bitumen sales at Total UK, said: ‘At Total, safety is more than a priority; it is a core value and drives our decisions and strategy on an ongoing basis. We are pleased to launch our health and safety platform and best-practice guide to help everyone understand their health and safety responsibilities and implement processes and policies that protect people, production and the environment.’
To view or download the Total Work Well Bitumen Health & Safety Guide, click here.