New Health & Safety Awards 2021
MPA and British Precast launch new scheme open to submissions from all sectors and sizes of organizations
THE Mineral Products Association (MPA) and British Precast have joined forces to launch a new Health & Safety Awards scheme for 2021. The new awards build on the success of the long established and highly acclaimed MPA Health & Safety Awards and retain many of the key elements associated with it.
The new scheme has been evolved to encourage submissions from all sectors and sizes of organizations within the mineral products industry. All organizations working within the supply chain of the mineral products industry are free to enter and entry forms can be downloaded from either the Safequarry website or the Safeprecast website.
The awards include the following categories:
- Eight New Topic Awards – recognizing health and safety innovations at different stages of activity within the production and distribution of mineral products. The topics are: Safer Production; Safer Maintenance and Housekeeping; Safer Management of Pedestrians and Transport on Site; Safer Handling of Inbound and Outbound Materials; Safer Transport and Logistics; Safer Operations at a Contracting, Construction or Customer Site; Safer Through Improvements in Health and Wellbeing; Safer Together.
- New – ‘The Fatal 6’ Award – recognizing an exceptional innovation to eliminate a high-consequence hazard associated with ‘The Fatal 6’.
- John Crabbe Award – for a MPA or British Precast member with more than 250 employees which has achieved an outstanding performance in health and safety.
- Sir Frank Davies Award – for a MPA or British Precast member with 250 or fewer employees which has achieved an outstanding performance in health and safety.
- New – Young Leader Award – recognizing the contribution made by an individual aged under 30, in making their organization a safer and healthier place to work.
- Individual Awards – recognizing the contribution made by an individual of 30 years of age or over in making their organization a safer and healthier place to work.
Nigel Jackson, chief executive of the MPA, said: ‘The Health & Safety Awards scheme plays a key role in making our industry safer for all. By joining forces with British Precast we will broaden the sharing of knowledge about the good practices and innovations, which will help us all to make our industry a safer and healthier place for everyone.
‘I look forward to the awards event in the autumn when we will be able to celebrate our industry’s achievements in what has been an extremely challenging period for us all. In particular, it will be great to recognize the outstanding performance that individuals and organizations have made on our journey towards ‘Vision Zero’.
Phil Cox, director of British Precast, said: ‘The concrete products industry has committed itself to Vision Zero, which includes the core value of ‘Collaboration and Sharing’. The Health & Safety Awards are an excellent demonstration of this value in action.
‘Applying the innovations highlighted in the awards across all industry sectors will enable us to create a safer and healthier work environment for all. I urge the members of British Precast to enter the awards.’