New bio-sourced admixture solutions from CEMEX
CEMEX launch next-generation admixture solutions that reduce carbon footprint by up to 70%
CEMEX have today announced the launch of their latest product innovation – a range of next-generation bio-sourced admixture solutions that utilize a natural, renewable, and locally sourced raw material to deliver a lower-carbon footprint.
Admixtures are added to concrete mixes to enhance attributes such as strength, workability, and water demand, which contribute to a reduced carbon footprint and the promotion of more sustainable practices in construction. CEMEX Admixtures say they are the first in the industry to deliver these attributes while utilizing bio-based raw materials, thanks to a unique production process.
The resulting plasticizer/superplasticizer products offer a carbon footprint that is reduced by up to 70%* and have controllable, higher-performance features that are well suited to modern cement, concrete, precast, and mortar technology.
These solutions, which form an integral element of CEMEX´s broader Future in Action strategy to be a net-zero CO2 company by 2050, aims to provide customers and partners with a comprehensive portfolio of lo- carbon and efficient solutions that can help meet environmental goals and lead the way for responsible construction.
CEMEX say the use of their bio-sourced admixtures can significantly enhance the sustainable performance of several applications, including:
- ISOPLAST BIO: a concrete plasticizer that achieves higher levels of workability with the same water content, allowing a carbon reduction of up to 10%
- ISOFLEX BIO: concrete plasticizers and superplasticizers that reduce carbon and water use by up to 20–30%
- ISOFLOW BIO: high-performance superplasticizer technology for ready-mixed concrete producers, allowing water and carbon reductions of up to 50% in concrete mix designs
- ISOMILL BIO: grinding aids and cement enhancers that provide a significant carbon reduction of up to 10%, higher process efficiency, and enhanced strength.
The bio-sourced admixtures will be launched across CEMEX’s markets in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia and will roll out to other markets in the coming months. This new range is part of CEMEX’s portfolio of Vertua building solutions with enhanced sustainability attributes.
Marcelo Catalá, CEMEX’s EMEA vice-president of urbanization solutions, said: ‘Our new range of bio-sourced admixtures is an exciting development that utilizes locally available raw materials. This not only contributes to a circular economy but offers a considerably reduced carbon footprint because of the local sourcing and transportation of these raw materials. All of this is achieved thanks to a specialized production process which ensures this range enhances the high performance expected of our admixture solutions.’
* Compared with traditional oil-based admixtures