Health & Safety Manager
Click here to contact the poster of this job listing.
Smiths Bletchington is a dynamic independent family-owned company and leading supplier of primary and recycled aggregates to the construction and allied industries in Oxfordshire and the surrounding counties. In business for over a century, Smiths have an enviable reputation as quality operators winning numerous domestic and international health, safety, and environmental awards.
Due to retirement, an exciting opportunity has arisen for a dynamic and experienced Health and Safety Manager within Smiths. Reporting directly to the Managing Director, this is a permanent, full-time position and will be based at the Company’s head office at Enslow in Oxfordshire. This is a pivotal role in delivering the commitment to continually improving the health and safety performance of the business and striving for the ultimate target of zero harm.
Key experience and skillsets:
- Extensive experience in Health and Safety Management in the minerals industry;
- Track record in improving health and safety culture and performance;
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills;
- NEBOSH qualified or equivalent;
- Thorough knowledge of UK Safety Regulations, including the Quarry Regulations 1999;
- Track record for successful delivery of behavioural safety initiatives;
- Fully conversant with ISO Management Systems, including ISO 45001 implementation and certification;
- Experience of electronic Integrated Management Systems would be advantageous;
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Strong IT skills.
- To lead and promote a positive H&S culture throughout the business – encouraging and empowering employee and contractor engagement;
- Leading by example – Visible Felt Leadership;
- Continuous improvement in hazard identification, risk assessments and H&S performance;
- Continually review and improve the Company’s safety and operating procedures;
- Driving the delivery of the Company’s H&S commitments and objectives;
- Implementation and delivery of behavioural safety initiatives;
- Ensure all employees achieve and maintain a high standard of skills and competence through the delivery of continuous training and assessment programmes;
- Compliance with HSE guidance and regulations as a minimum, but always striving to go beyond compliance;
- Advising on the Company’s H&S Policy;
- Work closely with the Company’s Environmental Compliance Manager to achieve outstanding SHE performance;
- Improve and deliver the Company’s H&S internal and external training programmes;
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive H&S audit system;
- Be actively involved and represent the company with industry bodies such as the MPA and BAA – collaboration and sharing good practice;
- Actively involved in accident/incident investigation, promoting near-miss reporting, recording and analysing accident/incident statistics and delivering swift and effective improvement actions;
- Striving to improve H&S performance through innovation.
To apply for this role, please submit CV and covering letter to our Personnel Manager, Paul Hillier: [email protected]
Closing Date: 30 November 2021