Tarmac is the UK’s leading sustainable building materials and construction solutions business. Our innovative products and solutions not only deliver the infrastructure needed to grow the UK economy today, but also help to create a more sustainable built environment for the country’s long-term future.
We're looking for an Assistant/Mid/Senior Geologist (depending on skills & experience), to join our Southern Strategic Planning team in the Land and Natural Resources function. You'll help deliver the regional mineral strategy and manage our existing mineral Reserves and Resources. You'll play a key role in the long-term sustainability of our business and meeting the needs of the UK's future infrastructure growth.
This is a role that will provide the ideal candidate with a great deal of diversity of scope including the development of mineral projects from concept through to production as well as providing an opportunity to work with and influence stakeholders up to Director level within Tarmac.
The role will ideally be based at our regional office near Bristol, but consideration will be given to flexible working from home remotely as we are currently operating a hybrid model of working. In addition, you will be expected to work on-site periodically across the South-east and South-west regions.
Here at Tarmac, we are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
In this role you will:
- Contribute to the delivery of the regional mineral strategy working with closely with colleagues from the Strategic Planning team.
- Develop new mineral prospects through land search/desk studies and mineral exploration, including the design, management, interpretation & reporting of site investigation campaigns.
- Design sustainable schemes to develop land for mineral extraction.
- Provide geological, hydrogeological and quarry design advice for the assessment of new prospects, scoping/development of planning applications and development of existing sites.
- Provide specialist geological advice and expertise to assessment of business acquisitions and disposals.
- Support the Strategic Planning team in budgeting, forecasting and management of L&NR projects & other expenditure.
- Undertake Reserve & Resource estimations and contribute to the annual company reserve & resource reporting exercise.
- Assist in the management and maintenance of the company borehole database and other data management systems, working in close collaboration with colleagues across the Land and Natural Resources team.
The Ideal Candidate
As our ideal candidate you’ll possess a number of key skills and qualifications with the ability to work and communicate with the immediate and wider teams:
A geological degree or postgraduate degree [e.g. Geotechnical / Mining Geology / Mining Engineering / Hydrogeology etc].
If Chartered Status has not yet been achieved, this role will provide an excellent platform to enable the candidate to work g towards achieving relevant Chartered Status.
To succeed in the role you will ideally have experience/knowledge of one or more of:
- Geological setting and characteristics of UK aggregates.
- Design, management and reporting of site investigation or mineral exploration works, including a range of investigation techniques.
- Mineral extraction and construction materials / products.
- Application of hydrology/hydrogeology to quarry design/earthworks.
- Geological interpretation & modelling.
- Mineral reserve and resource estimation to international reporting codes.
- LSS Software [or equivalent] and application to the modelling of quarry developments
- GIS, AutoCAD and Borehole Databases (preferably OpenGround/Holebase)
In addition, you’ll be a skilled problem solver and be both able to and enjoy team working and working independently. You should also hold a driving licence.
We offer an extensive range of career development opportunities and industry-leading rewards, incentives and benefits:
- Company Car or Car allowance (role dependent)
- Bonus scheme
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Contributory pension scheme
- Access to the Tarmac Reward website with discounts on retailers, holidays, etc.
- Access to our Employee Assistance helpline for free and confidential advice
- Access to join our Employee Communities including: BAME; LGBTQ+; Working Parents
- Training and development opportunities
Tarmac is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment for all employees and actively encourage applications from all sectors of the community.
Interested? Please apply at: https://careershub.tarmac.com/members/?j=3093