General Manager - Aggregates
Click here to contact the poster of this job listing.
- Location: National role with potential for international travel. Flexible working hours approach required
- Remuneration: Competitive salary
This is a new and exciting leadership opportunity in a company that is growing rapidly in a unique field and will soon be a global business.
The job holder is to take full commercial and budgetary responsibility for the aggregate net revenue from three existing sites, and potential new sites as and when they are developed. They will develop the aggregates strategy and grow an already existing client base. They will drive new products and applications to market in close liaison with Technical and Operations.
They will be an active and hands-on member of the management team responsible for coaching, guiding, and leading the territory sales managers and commercial support staff to achieve the agreed commercial objectives, sharing best practice wherever possible.
The job holder will demonstrate a ‘one team’ ethos and work effectively across the management team. They will ensure that all Company procedures and policies are being followed and improved where appropriate. This will be in line with agreed management systems, so customers receive the best levels of product/service within a strong health and safety framework.
The role requires strong relationships to be built and maintained with customers to ensure customer service and satisfaction levels are kept at the highest possible levels. At the same time, an objective and balanced view is required to guarantee that O.C.O is achieving best commercial value.
The role will, by its nature, expose the job holder to an important level of confidential information which needs to be treated and maintained with the utmost confidence. This may at times require the role holder to work closely with legal to ensure NDA’s and MOUs with new customers are in place.
A visible role model, the job holder will need to attend and present at various Board and management meetings relating to their area of responsibility.
The role will be home based but will involve travelling across the UK to support existing sites on sales of aggregate from the plants.
- To develop, lead and drive the aggregate team forward, ensuring commercial activities are analysed, which in turn will guide and justify decision-making.
- Lead by example to promote and drive the delivery of commercial objectives for the Business.
- Maintain, improve, and progress relationships with existing customers. Make appointments, arrange visits, and present to potential new and existing clients to broaden customer and product base.
- Ownership for periodic management information commentary and insight to Board and management team.
- Negotiations with suppliers and customers, including cost/price increases as appropriate.
- Responsibility for haulage strategy and management of logistics across the Business.
- Oversee customer forecasting to ensure value chain is effective and efficient.
- Ensure team monitor deliveries and collections from sites.
- Develop excellent working relationships with external stakeholders and suppliers in a professional manner to ensure the best interests and reputation of O.C.O are preserved and enhanced.
- Foster excellent working relationships across the leadership team and collaborate effectively with Directors and senior management to improve their understanding of commercial strategy and challenges. This will be achieved through relevant meetings, presentations, and regular day-to-day interactions.
- Continually identify and diagnose where changes are required to increase the commercial effectiveness of the Business. Drive a healthy culture of appropriate cost control and adherence to budgets.
- Ensure Territory managers are leveraging support from Aggregates Technical manager to drive best outcomes for the Business.
- Of Graduate calibre and/or relevant industry experience in senior commercial position.
- A minimum of 5 years of successfully managing and leading a commercial team.
- Proven leadership skills and ability to nurture and get ‘buy in’ from immediate reports.
- Managing relationships with support functions
- Hands on – ‘completer finisher’ – excellent work ethic and problem solver.
- Enthusiastic flexible collaborator with high expectations of self and others.
- Excellent coaching skills and the ability to develop others.
- Able to work under pressure, on own initiative and constantly seek to improve
- Excellent commercial awareness and proven record of financial delivery.
- Confident and diplomatic communicator.
- Concrete/asphalt/aggregate background.
- Excellent personal presentation standards.
- Commitment to delivering a high level of customer service.
- Proven selling, communication, and negotiation skills, with the ability to secure new business.
- Excellent organisational skills and diligence.
- Be able to keep certain tasks and information confidential and private.
- Computer literate with an elevated level of numeracy and literacy skills.
- Sound judgement skills with a rational and flexible approach to work.
- Ability to effectively plan and prioritise.
- Passion for building relationships with customers and colleagues.
- Able to demonstrate a good and positive attitude towards health and safety.
- Full, clean driving license and own transport.
- Hold a WAMITAB qualification
- Certification to NEBOSH or similar H&S qualification
- Control of logistic costs and led haulage strategy
- Financial skills in creating and analysing management information.
To apply, send CV & covering letter to: [email protected]
For more information, visit www.oco.co.uk/careers
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: 10th December 2021