EP15 - Management Audits
What is this?
This is a written procedure that outlines how to carry out EMS and site audits. A PDF of the procedure is available to download (see attached), please use it in conjunction with the associated documentation mentioned below.
What does the responsible manager need to do?
The responsible manager must ensure that:
- An independent environmental consultant undertakes a compliance audit on an annual basis. The audit will comprise of checking the operations against legislative requirements and the company’s EMS
- The audit specifies the severity of any non-conformances and provides clear and concise advice on what needs to be completed to rectify any issues with appropriate timescales
- Half yearly cross-site audits are carried out by suitable members of the management team, and periodically by him/herself or the managing director. The scope of the audit will be a site tour followed by an examination of the EMS and any supporting documentation (including previous site audit reports)
- All non-conformances identified through the audit process are recorded on the appropriate form and filed accordingly. The person with the responsibility of correcting any non-conformances must be stated on the form
- Copies of the audits are made available to all interested parties.
What do employees need to do?
All employees must ensure that:
- They help and support all auditors by providing honest feedback to all questions asked regarding the company’s current environmental practices.
- Environmental Audits
- EP13 – System Verification and Corrective Action
- EF07 – Non-Conformance Record (NCR)
- EF10 – Site Environmental Audit
- EF11 – EMS Audit
- EF12 – EMS Audit Schedule
This workplace procedure forms part of an Environmental Management System (EMS) that enables all personnel working for the company, whether directly or indirectly, to carry out their duties in a manner which will preserve the environment around them and ensure that the policy statement of the company is adhered to. The procedures can be viewed here.