EP07 - Internal And External Communications
What is this?
This is a written procedure that outlines what is required to ensure that all internal and external communications relating to the environmental performance of the company are dealt with professionally and effectively. A PDF of the procedure is available to download (see attached), please use it in conjunction with the associated documentation mentioned below.
Types of communication
Communications relating to the environmental performance of the company may be received in the form of a written letter, a verbal conversation or electronically via email.
What does the managing director have to do?
The managing director is responsible for:
- Ensuring that an annual environmental report is written and circulated to all interested parties.
What does the responsible manager have to do?
The responsible manager must ensure that:
- Any communications received from the Environment Agency or other regulatory authorities will be dealt with in the correct manner
- In their absence the information is dealt with by an appointed manager/supervisor with assistance of the managing director if required
- A record is made of all communications received along with any appropriate response and/or actions taken
- A copy of the information from any significant communication received is circulated to the managing director
- The company is appropriately represented at any public liaison groups. This may vary depending upon the issues to be discussed, and may involve various company management as well as appropriate consultants.
What do employees have to do?
Company employees must ensure that:
- Any communication received about the company’s activities in relation to the environment must be immediately passed on to the responsible manager for response
- All incoming letters are stamped with the date of receipt and dealt with immediately
- They report any issue, incident or non-conformance to the responsible manager immediately.
- Consultation and Communication
- EP08 – Complaint Handling
- EF03 – Internal Communication
This workplace procedure forms part of an Environmental Management System (EMS) that enables all personnel working for the company, whether directly or indirectly, to carry out their duties in a manner which will preserve the environment around them and ensure that the policy statement of the company is adhered to. The procedures can be viewed here.