EP06 - Document Control
What is this?
This is a written procedure that outlines what is required to ensure that the correct version of documents relating to the EMS are available and in use. In addition, that all relevant documentation is legible, dated, readily identifiable, filed and retained for as long as necessary. A PDF of the procedure is available to download (see attached), please use it in conjunction with the associated documentation mentioned below.
What does the responsible manager need to do?
The responsible manager must ensure that:
- Periodic reviews, updates and revisions of any additional/amended sections are carried out to all parts of the manual
- Any changes to the manual (other than the inclusion of records) are signed off by the managing director before being implemented and distributed, and a record of this is made on the internal communication form
- Any updates, additions or amendments to the EMS are circulated to all manual holders
- If no changes are made, that the manual is reviewed every two years, and a record of this is made on the EMS review form
- He/she acknowledges any comments or suggested improvements to the manual by any interested parties
- These suggestions are discussed at the next review meeting before being approved
- That the records of documentation in relation to the company’s operations are kept up to date and are readily available
- All documentation relating to the EMS are retained for a period of at least five years (longer if legislation requires).
What do manual holders have to do?
All manual holders must ensure:
- The safe keeping, maintenance and updating of their manuals
- That obsolete copies of the EMS documents are removed from the manual and other files, and are destroyed.
Note: Should any copies of obsolete documents be retained, then they must be clearly marked with the words ‘OBSOLETE’ on all pages to avoid confusion.
- Distribution list and Modifications list
- Environmental Documentation
- Document and Data Control
- EP15 – Management Audits
- EP16 – EMS Annual Review
- EF03 – Internal Communication
- EF04 – EMS Review
This workplace procedure forms part of an Environmental Management System (EMS) that enables all personnel working for the company, whether directly or indirectly, to carry out their duties in a manner which will preserve the environment around them and ensure that the policy statement of the company is adhered to. The procedures can be viewed here.