BDS publish annual analysis of aggregates market in 2020
Primary aggregates market in GB estimated to be more than 160 million tonnes in 2020
BDS Marketing Research have released their latest annual report, ‘Estimated Outputs of Pits & Quarries and Marine Wharves in Great Britain’. Published in November 2021, and annually for more than 25 years, the report provides estimates of outputs and market shares by individual site and by company for Great Britain in 2020.
In 2020, BDS estimate the primary aggregates market in Great Britain to be more than 160 million tonnes. Figures decreased in 2020 compared with 2019 and 2018, which is believed to be due, in part, to the extensive working limitations and government restrictions implemented to tackle the COVID-19 Pandemic in 2020.
More than 700 aggregates sites are identified in the 2020 report. Crushed rock accounts for more than 65% of the aggregates market in Great Britain with combined land-won and marine-won sand and gravel taking the remaining 35% of the market.
The latest report confirms Tarmac as the largest producer of aggregates in Great Britain, followed by Aggregate Industries and Hanson. The top five producers of aggregates in Great Britain were estimated to have a combined market share of 70% of the total aggregates market in 2020.
The 2020 GB aggregates market was also recognized by BDS to be the strongest in the East Midlands, followed by Scotland and the South West.
The report is one of a suite of output-focused reports produced by BDS. Others include:
- Estimated Outputs of Asphalt Plants in Great Britain (2020)
- Estimated Outputs of Ready-Mix Concrete companies in Great Britain (2020)
- Estimated Movements of Aggregates from Rail Depots in Great Britain (2020).
To find out more about the ‘Estimated Outputs of Pits & Quarries and Marine Wharves in Great Britain’ report or to purchase a copy, email: [email protected]